Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Sabacc: The GAIN and SWAP



The Gain and Swap


If I were to make a list of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the game, these two actions would be at the top.
To be fair, the instructions don't really help clarify things for people just getting started. So I'm going to further explain these actions, how they work, what not to do, and some light strategy.


Here is the starting hand I'll be referencing a lot during this. Not the greatest hand.



THE SWAP



In this example, I started out with a -4 and a -2. Try not to pay too much attention to the fact that I shouldn't have made this move in the first place. It's just to show how these work.

For the SWAP, I cannot just take the top card from the Discard Pile and add it to my hand. I first have to discard one of my cards and take the top card from the Discard Pile. 

There is only one way to do a SWAP.

Even though you cannot just take the top the card. This is one of the few times in Sabacc where you get to see a card before you can take it. But beware, it changes a lot. Especially if there are more than 3 players.


 THE GAIN

Unlike the SWAP, there are two ways to go about the GAIN. 

You can either take a card from the Draw Pile and just add it to your hand.

Or

You can discard a card first, and then take a card from the Draw Pile.

Either way, you are drawing a card blind from the Draw Pile.



In the above example I am doing a Gain without a discard. So I just add the top card from the Draw pile to my hand. That's about it.





Where it gets complicated is the Discard/Gain. Here you first  Discard a card from your hand into the Discard Pile, and then take the top card from the Draw Pile.

The other actions I didn't cover would be Standing, and Folding. But they are also important.

And to answer the question I always get about the Discard/Gain. Is it still Gaining a card if you're discarding?

Yes. Think of it more as the Game is Gaining a card. Not just your hand.

Strategy


If you choose to ignore these rules and play a different way, you may be short changing yourself. These actions work together to provide the overall strategy of the game. And pretty much all the fun.

  • Use the SWAP if something will get you -2 to +2 (including zero).
  • Gain a card if all other Actions put your hand over its current total or above +2/-2.
  • Discard the larger card before Gaining (usually) if you know nothing can bring your card to zero by not discarding. For example, if you have a +10 and +9 as a starting hand. There are no cards that will bring it to zero. 
  • In this example, I might just Gain a card without discarding. Best case scenario I get a positive card of any value. And if not,  at least I have a card to now Swap with something.
  • Pay attention to the cards played/discarded. Since there are only 3 of each cards, if you see the card you need buried in the discard pile. It might be best to not bank on getting what you need.


So there you have it, a brief explanation of the Gain and Swap action. Plus a little strategy. 

Feel free to ask me any questions. Have fun everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Corellian Spike - BIGGEST Error in the Rules

It's no secret that the rule book that comes with the Corellian Spike Sabacc game sold at Disney Parks is filled with errors. Most of th...